Monday 17 August 2009

Canada Line Done!

This afternoon the MOMMIETRON and I went to Oakridge Centre to try out the new Canada Line Skytrain! It's completion was totally ahead of schedule. There's a station right outside the mall on the corner of East 41st Avenue & Cambie. Today was the official opening of the new line and people were allowed to ride for free from 1:00 pm to 9:00 pm! Needless to say, there were tons of people interested in taking a ride this afternoon. Some local musicians provided entertainment at selected stations. We actually shared a bus ride with the double bass player on the way here. We finally got on board. We took this thing downtown and then back the other way to Richmond. Surprisingly, cellphones still work when the train goes underground. Apparently, they installed signal boosters in the tunnels. A true benefit for those who rely on their phones for business, like me! I used to avoid taking the Skytrain underground just in case my agent would call. The new look... Got a shot of a plane landing nearby. This station was packed as well! Remember, always let the passengers get off first before you board the train. I hate it when people just barge in! Made in Korea. We finally arrived at the Vancouver International Airport! That's the new airport station. I think the new Canada Line is awesome and I'll be using it a lot because of the convenience it offers me! I got the MOMMIETRON to pose with the sculpture by Bill Reid. Since we were at the airport, I called Hercy to meet-up! They were giving out free popsicles here! This girl was so cute I just had to get Hercy to take a shot of us. Her name is Sonya. The airport constructed a new observation deck! I've been wishing this since the '80s because whenever I would see someone off at the airport, I would try to spot their plane taking off. Now, I can do that! "Watch where you point that lightsaber!" She got another free popsicle. LOL! Mother and son on the podium... I almost mistook this squad car for a picture car. It looks so Hollywood, but I guess this is what Translink's Transit Police are rolling around in these days. You know, they have the same authority as the VPD and the RCMP? Their jurisdiction extends to all the regions that Translink services, and that's fucken huge! Aaahhh... Rest and relaxation... It was time to head back, but the line-up for the train was a 2 hour wait! We decided to take the bus instead, but then Hercy called and offered to drive us back into Vancouver since she was off early. Thanks for the ride Hercy!!!

3 comments:

Stacie said...

What a fun day! I also hate when the people don't let you off the train because they just want to barge on! It would go faster if they FOLLOWED THE RULES!!! LOL

Sam Anderson said...

How interesting it is to enjoy a festival near the airport then head to the airport parking near the terminals then get ready for a trip.
meet and greet stansted

Katherine Mills said...

Riding in a bus to arrive can help travellers to reach the airport. We see many people who like to travel in a bus on their return to the airport.
airport parking Gatwick