Friday 1 June 2007

Tom Tagami's Retirement Party!!!

My friends and I went down to our old high school, Killarney Secondary to attend Mr. Tagami's retirement party. He's probably the most influential coach/teacher to have worked in the school. Throughout his career, Tom Tagami has been known for his talent of turning a motley crew into a championship team. Basically, the stuff you see in movies, but he's the real thing. It was no surprise to see who attended the ceremony, his fellow peers, friends and family, and many former players and graduates who appreciate his work. He touched all our lives, so it was a pleasure to share in tonight's celebration. A scholarship in Tag's name was also created to honour him. Check out the photos, I took tons! Coached by Tag, we became the Vancouver Junior Rugby Champs in 1987. That's me!!! The party took place in the main gymnasium. Mike and Bruce... Mike and Nicole...Dude, I didn't know Vancouver Giants forward, Milan Lucic graduated from Killarney! He was there with his MVP trophy from the Memorial Cup Tournament. Apparently, he brought the actual Memorial Cup to the school earlier today! Mr. Flewelling, I always had fun in his English class. Mr. Tom Tagami, the man of the evening!!! Everyone awaits the buffet dinner... The roasts, baby!!! High school sweethearts Nicole and Doug... Former Asian youth gang members, LOL!!! The boys from Weir Elementary, Willy and Mike... Avalon with her coach of a husband, LOL!!! Avalon and Tag's daughter, Reiko... Dinner is served... I pose with Anna, who's married to my best friend from elementary school... Bruce, Henry, and me... Flo and Nicole... Mike and Mike... Group shot... Willy and I pose against our team photos... Can you find me? Oh yeeeaaahhh!!! Mr. Scharf, I used to be a terror in his Social Studies class, LOL!!! We loved him because he used to drive around in a Fiero GT wearing leather driving gloves. The school honours Tag by renaming the basketball court... Mr. Jefferson, I used to get into so much trouble in his class... We all pose with Mr. Fukui and Mr. Campbell. I actually got kicked out of Mr. Fukui 's class in my senior year, LOL!!! He was funny though, he used to shoot chalk at us with his blowgun! Flo gets a photo with Milan Lucic... Former gangstaz, Bruce, Henry, and Mike... We turn into Hobbits!!! Bruce and I pose with Mr. Haensgen... He would always make us laugh. The best place to be, in my opinion, LOL!!! Congratulations, Tag and good luck!!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heya Edwin,
Those are great pics!
Thank you so much for livening up the evening.
It was a great night, eh?

The EdRocker said...

I loved it! I felt like a kid again with all those teachers around, LOL!!!

Anonymous said...

Ed you should change your blog name to EnergyRocker, as always you were the most energetic guy there. It is always great to see you, thanks for coming, if I were to present you with an Honour Award it would be for the most entertaining guys I've coached. A party needs people like you. Great pics.
Tag and Avalon

The EdRocker said...

What about Ed "Juan"? Remember that? The boys made me get that on my rugby jacket. I still have it you know.

Unknown said...

Killarney has a history of great coaches, going all the way back to Jack Armour, and Dave Renwick to name just a couple. Happy to see the tradition of excellence continuing. This is a very nice tribute to a great teacher and not unimportantly a great friend to many Killarney Cougars. Thanks for posting all the photos and bylines! Ron Grender (1965)

Unknown said...

Wow , just found this , don't remember being in that picture .

Unknown said...

Tagami was my first PE teach at Killarney in first year at the school. I had him for 4 years in row for PE.

Unknown said...

I remember Tom when he was a new teach and years later going back with daughter to check out the school. I remember his comment to me, You properly could properly still set the 6 lap record. He would always push me to push the record high every year. Greg Scheffel