Wednesday 14 July 2010

Alesha on Grouse Mountain

This afternoon, Alesha and I went to Grouse Mountain to hike the Baden-Powell Trail. There goes Alesha climbing the mountain. Time for a rest though. Alesha amongst the trees... I made her laugh when I felt something hanging on my back from the trees and I totally freaked out! Turns out it was just a twig hanging by a spiderweb. She says I screamed like a girl. ;) I mistakenly thought this trail would lead us up to the peak, but it only travels along the base, so we had to turn back. We hiked for 2 hours and Alesha slightly sprained her ankle which put an end to our climb, so we pondered on taking the lift to the top. I just hate how much it is, $44.74! I did my thinking as we visited the wolves habitat. He came out for a bit. So cute! I decided to pay for the lift since we were already here, plus I promised bears for Alesha. When we reached the top, we got something to eat. As expected, there was an awesome view from here! There's a paraglider! It was quite the sight. We finally saw one of the bears! But it was heading back into the trees because it was hot outside. So big!
Since there was nothing to see now, we took the gondola to the peak. Alesha... Me... The both of us... You can see the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in this photo. So this is where the paragliders take-off from. It's Tandem Paragliding! It costs $210 plus tax! They go really high though and the view must be spectacular! You can see most of the Lower Mainland from here! So scenic from here. We bumped into another Keystone survivor, Claudia here! She was playing tour guide to her friends from Brazil. "Beautiful British Columbia!" "You gotta be here!" Here's the windmill! It's fucken huge! It's called the Eye of the Wind. It's costs around $40 to get up to the observation deck, but it includes discounts towards restaurants and other things available on the mountain. "You gotta be here!" The weather was perfect today. The cargo ships look like a fleet going out to battle. There's Mount Baker on the horizon! We left the peak just in time to catch the end of the bird show. They featured a Bald Eagle! His name is Rocco! Everyone got to take close-up pictures. They look so impressive. They're still training him. I want to fly too! Apparently, he was sensing the presence of another eagle close by, so he was a little anxious. Very majestic. When the bird show ended, everyone watched the bears come out. This one played in the water. Soaking wet... He walked into another pool and played with a stick. He had enough. It was time to dry-off. The second Grizzly was out as well! It was just sitting on a rock, chillin'. They're cute too! Both bears were orphaned and now live on the mountain's wildlife refuge. Just as everyone was watching, this one turned his ass towards us and took a big dump! I've circled the turds. This one could probably smell it. Two thumbs-up from Alesha! As we were walking towards the lift, we saw this fawn eating! Alesha was just hitting the jackpot today in her quest to see wildlife! Bambi?!? Our ride down... I saw this PBO as we approached the base! This one had guns! LOL! We were so tired from our day on Grouse. Alesha went home right after. Although I was tired, I didn't want to go home just yet. I called Jody and we watched "Predators"! I enjoyed it, but I probably would have downloaded instead. On our walk back to the Skytrain, we ran into this skunk! Man, I've seen so many animals today!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahahaha oh man I laughed when you circled the turds.

You forgot to mention that a) you screamed like a girl, b) you led us in the wrong direction for 2 hours, c) I sprained my ankle :P

Madalyn said...

Thank you for taking us along on your adventure. Beautiful pictures. I come from the Pacific Northwest and went to Vancouver often as a kid. I now live in NYC.

Yes, I have to go back for a visit soon.

The EdRocker said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Madalyn! You should come back for a visit. A lot has changed in the city!