Thursday 15 August 2013

Pincher Creek (Day 4)

I really love this waffle iron and love making waffles with it in the morning!  :-)
Since we had a day-off, I organized a little field trip to the local Hutterite colony with Ometa and the others.  Ever since we started filming on their land, I've been nothing but intrigued with their culture.  I also heard they're known for their baked goods, especially their Hutterite Buns!
So here we are at the Pincher Creek Hutterite Colony.
These are a few of their houses.
"You want buns?  You need to talk to Lydia."
While we were here, a 17 year-old girl named Miriam offered us a tour of their grounds for $6/person.  Of course we accepted!  :-)
This is where they make their soap.
Inside the slaughter house,
the women were busy packaging cucumbers.
Pretty much everyone in their community has a duty to fulfill.
This is an automatic feather plucker.
Roberta, Robin, Ometa, and Eric posing with some of the girls.
You can't help but love them!  They all look so happy.  :-)
They're growing tomatoes in this greenhouse.
Look how big they are!
No chemicals here.
Here are the calves!
These two were scared,
but not this little guy.

He was a cutie!


I love cows!
The milking area.
Here are the cows!
They don't pasteurize the milk they drink.
Miriam inside the workshop.
This is where the men work.  ;-)
For a 17 year-old, Miriam is very intelligent!  She's an excellent example of homeschooling.
Fresh eggs!
The egg collecting machines.
Here comes a freshly laid egg!

I thought I'd help out and fill-up a few trays.
They were coming in pretty fast.
I started to feel like I was in an episode of "I Love Lucy".  LOL!
I'm pulling my weight here!  ;-)
These eggs are being sold to the local grocery stores.
This is where the eggs get cleaned and graded.

This is their school.
Inside another classroom.
"I know, I know!!!"
You know what this is?  It's the Ten Commandments in High German.
Eric and a map of the Hutterites' origins.
Inside their church, the men sit on the left and the women sit on the right.
Strolling through the hood.

Their fridge.
Kids up to the age of 15 all eat here.
When you get older, you eat here.  Just tap your cutlery together to get service.  ;-)
The kitchen.
The weekly kitchen duties of each woman are organized with these name blocks.
This is their bakery.
Their stone oven.
Spices and utensils are stored here.
Miriam showed us their homemade laundry detergent.
Don't worry, I didn't ring their dinner bell.  LOL!
At the end of our tour, Miriam unlocked the freezer and sold us some of their buns!  They were just $3/dozen.  :-)
While we waited for our cab to arrive, Miriam invited us into her family's home.
No televisions in here.  ;-)
Her dad, Leonard is one of their ministers.  All Hutterite men grow their beards to signify that they're married.  Miriam was such a wonderful tour guide, I gave her $10 instead of the requested $6.  I've learned so much of their faith and lifestyle from her!

Big thanks to Miriam and the Pincher Creek Hutterite Colony for a tour of their grounds!!!  :-)
Still waiting for our cab.  There are only 2 in this town.  LOL!
I decided to photograph the ducks.
"Quack, quack!  Hurry, let's get outta here!  A man wearing his name on his shirt is coming!"
The cute kids from kindergarten!
Here are the Hutterite Buns and they're just as good as the locals said!
Roberta also bought a Saskatoon Berry Pie!  I just love their food!
Dinner at Luigi's again.
They finally re-stocked on the Chocolate Coffee Cheesecake I wanted earlier!
Who's my favourite person at this restaurant again?
Kayla!!!  ;-)
I can't get enough of these buns!

This was a fun day!!!  :-)

No comments: